Weather and Tides
- Documentation – Noonsite
- ROAM – report offsite arrival – mobile app
- Pleasure Boats Entering the US
- What you can and can’t bring when entering the US
- Handout for Boating Around Killer Whales.
- Jellywatch.org, a site to record sightings of jellyfish and other marine organisms.
- Surfrider.com, a foundation dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s oceans, waves and beaches. Chapters are throughout North America, with events such as beach cleanup days.
- Secchi Disk, participate in the Secchi project and help gather data on phytoplankton in the ocean.
- BC Marine Parks Forever Society
- Downloadable sailing directions for Canadian waters by Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
- Free Boaters Shuttle on Salt Spring Island. Upper Ganges Shopping Centre offers a free boater’s shuttle service to and from the marina’s to their shopping mall. Service is available daily from 10am to 6pm, call (250) 538-2398 to arrange a pick up for your shopping trip.
- The Bear Smart Guide to playing in Bear and Cougar Country.
- Nauticapedia for marine history of BC.
- The Boat Galley Cookbook, by Carolyn Shearlock. This is a great cookbook. It’s super practical covering a broad number of areas that is a galley staple.
- One-Pot Wonders, by James Barber. This is my favourite cookbook. It doesn’t cover endless staples, but is a perfect addition to you boat galley. Easy tasty one-pot meals that were designed for a sailboat.
- Sea Salt, Recipes from the West Coast Galley, by Alison Malone Eathorne. This is a fun cookbook. With the west coast inspiration, there are lots of tasty recipe ideas to try.
Regional Fun Reads
- Jedediah Days: One Woman’s Island Paradise, by Mary Palmer. If you cruise off Vancouver Island from the Gulf Islands to Desolation Sound, Jedediah Days is a must read. Jedediah Island is now a park, but was once owned by Mary Palmer and her husband. Mary Palmer shares her life story of what it was like to live on the island.
- Once Upon an Island, by David Conover. Similar to Jedediah Days, this book is written by a couple who dreamed to buy and island bought and lived on Wallace Island in the Gulf Islands.
The Light on the Island, Tales of a Lighthouse Keeper’s Family in the San Juan Islands, by Helen Glidden. Enjoy reading about the adventures of a girl growing up on Patos Island in the San Juans.
- The Curve of Time, by M. Wylie Blanchet the Classic Memoir Of A Woman And Her Children Who Explored The Coastal Waters Of The Pacific Northwest by boat.
Tide Rips and Back Eddies: Bill Proctor’s Tales of Blackfish Sound, by Bill Proctor.